Monday, December 23, 2013

Our Last Day

One year ago today was one of the best days. I was so happy to be back in Texas. I was back with my sister ready to spend 10 days together. I had only seen Lori for an hour the night before when she got off work and came to pick Jaden and Ethan up to spend the night with her. It was a Sunday and we met at church. It was so nice being there together almost like we never left. So many people were excited to see her and all of us.  She laid her head on my shoulder and was so happy to have us "home". After sacrament meeting she paid her tithing to our bishop and seemed the happiest I had seen her in awhile. She always had the brightest smile, but it seemed extra bright that day. We went to her house after church where she made us lunch. After lunch she brought out hundreds of photos for us to look at and reminisce over. She took the kids out for a walk and then she had to leave for a few hours to finish up some charting she had to do at the hospital. She came back later that evening to pick up Jaden, Whitney, Ethan, & Brinley to spend the night. She was so excited for the next day. We had plans to meet at 10 a.m. to finish our shopping. I gave her a huge hug and said goodbye. There was no clue that there would be a chance of this being our last goodbye. My Mom talked to Lori earlier that evening and she was so happy. She told my Mom how great it felt to be back at church. She said she was ready to start going regularly again.....it was hard for her to go without us there because it reminded her how far away we lived.  She read my Mom one of her favorite scriptures. She was truly happy and in a good place.

This past year has been a roller coaster of emotions. I have missed the "Sunshine" girl so much. The earth feels like a darker place without her in it, but the stars and sunsets are more radiant since she left. I have learned to appreciate the simple things in life just as she did. When I take care of my patients at the hospital, I truly feel her presence helping me to go above and beyond. I work with amazing people who have become like family to me, I get showered with much needed "Lori" hugs. Many have become like sisters to me. I have learned and grown so much.

This life is full of joy and sorrows. We all face trials, it is a fact of life. I do know that Lori had her fair share of trials and she endured them well. She changed her life for the better many years ago and she played a vital role in the lives of many. She has friends that are alive today because of the love and support and guidance she offered them at a desperate time in their lives. She still to this day has patients that come to the hospital and ask if she is working so she could care for them or their family member. I am so grateful to be her sister, to have had her as an integral part of my family on a daily basis, and to have an example of the most caring persons to aspire to be.

I love you Lori. I miss you so much, but I know the day you left us, you passed away quietly, peacefully, and you were happy. You were surrounded by those who loved you like a Mom. You passed the test in this life, proving yourself, and got to go be with our Savior in a place where your heart can touch and bless more people than it could in this life. Love you Sunshine girl....keep shining!!!

Love your sister,

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment